Week #89

Okay so I have a fun story to tell people about my mission.

Elder Boegaerts and I were working as always; talking to people in their homes and we had been doing so for about an hour, going from house to house.
We arrive at the next home and the gate was open and they did not have a doorbell (most homes in Corsica do not have door bells). As always, with a lot of boldness, I start walking up the driveway to go knock on the door. I am half way up the drive way when I see a dog run around the corner. He charged directly at me. I held my ground and braced for impact. He jumped up and bit my arm. I pushed him off me and started running. As I was running, he followed me and tackled my legs and I fell hard on my shoulder, just outside the open gate. I quickly stood up and ran a little bit further up the road. I knelt down on the ground and then I looked and realized that my arm was bleeding a lot. My vision was starting to blur and I was breathing heavily. Next thing I know I hear a women’s voice telling me to follow her back to the same house where the dog is so she could take care of me. I told her something a long the lines of “are you sure the dog isn’t going to attack me again?” I didn’t say those words but it is what I meant. With much difficulty she walked me up to her house and sat me down on a chair outside. With my vision blurred and in shock, I started to loose consciousness. I heard her talking to me and I saw my companion but I was not very conscious. Next thing I know I start thrashing my arms around and I gasped for air. I had been unconscious for a couple of seconds and had just regained consciousness. I looked around and I saw there were bandages on my arm. With my vision blurred I started to close my eyes but Elder Boegaerts slapped me in the face to keep me conscious. The lady continued to take care of the bites and she gave me water. I slowly regained my sight and became more conscious again. I started apologizing for giving the lady such a scare. My shoulder really hurt and I had a little bit of pain around my head. I wanted to make sure that I hadn’t hit my head so I asked if there was any dirt in my hair. She said no, your hair still looks good with the gel. I made a joke and said something like “at least I am still handsome.” I really wanted to lighten up the mood and make the lady at ease. Eventually I felt good enough to stand up. She offered to drive us but I said I wanted to walk it off. Turns out that the dog was tied up but he broke the chain when he heard me walking up the driveway. She asked us to call her that evening to let her know how everything is. She offered to pay for a new dress shirt and dress pants but I told her that that was really not necessary. We left her property and started walking down the hill when I saw a home that we had passed before now with people present. I started walking up to the house to talk to the people. We talked to them and to be honest I do not think they even noticed the blood on my shirt but we just acted normal. We got back to our car and headed home to clean me up. I had the desire to just change and continue working but I received orders to go to the hospital.

I think what made it intense was the shock. The bite marks are really not bad at all but I was just in a lot of shock and with all the adrenaline.

So here is what is going on now.
The dog bites have healed in two days already. They do not hurt at all. My arm is still a bit puffy but all is well.
Turns out the real damage was when I fell. The night of the accident after returning from a teaching appointment I couldn’t take off my dress shirt alone. My shoulder hurt a lot. It is then I realized that there was a bone sticking up a little bit on my shoulder. I went back to the hospital the next morning and got x-rays. I did some pretty good damage to my shoulder.

Now about 3,4 days after this accident, I feel really well. My shoulder is getting better everyday. I can now put on my shirt by myself and put on my socks by myself. I can now make my tie and put it on as well. I really feel like I am so blessed. I have healed really really quickly and I feel like almost nothing happened. I feel blessed because I know it could have been a lot worse. I feel very blessed that the dog stopped after I fell. So looking at me today you would have no idea that I got attacked by a dog.

All is well, and you really do not need to worry

Love you all,

Elder Ioannids

By Robert Suranyi